Today started out gorgeous for our summer- higher 60s, blue sky (what does that look like?), SUN. After work for me/errands for Greg, we got home just after 2. Jack & Leia got their swimsuits on to run through the sprinkler with some friends. Then around 4:30 we heard thunder and a few minutes later is started HAILING hard, as you can see in the picture. There was also lightning/thunder, then rain. Now, an hour later, it's sunny again.
So I know I've complained a lot about the weather this summer, but I'm not the only one. Everyone else is, too. We had a hard winter--January and February it was below zero for nearly 2 months, then in May it snowed 3 FEET at our house (I've got pictures to prove it, and all of the other snow had melted by the end of March. Not a good surprise). And now this summer we've had literally 3 days of temps in the 70s, and we've gone weeks without seeing the sun or blue in the sky. The days we've had sun, it's been for a few hours, usually in the evening from 8pm on. Recently there was an article in the paper that said this is in fact the coldest summer on record. The previous year it was cold like this was in the early 70s, but 2008 has now beat that! Nice.
The really great news for us is that Greg and I have decided to go to Hawaii this January! We're still making the plans, but my mom and sister will be there at the same time, otherwise we would probably go there earlier. I do wish we could get out of town more, but it is incredibly expensive to travel when you have to buy 5 plane tickets, especially from Alaska. When we went to Florida last year, tickets were almost $800 each. When I checked the rates from Seattle at the same time, it was $250 each. Amazing the difference. The Hawaii trip is our Christmas/birthday/any other celebration present to each other. But yay!

No comments:
Post a Comment